A new nuclear power station at Hinkley Point has the potential to provide a range of benefits, both to people living in the immediate vicinity as well as those from the wider area.
The key benefits from a new nuclear power station with two generating units are expected to be:
- A clean, secure and affordable source of electricity for around five million homes
- Around 700 directly employed permanent jobs and an additional 200 contract staff at the new power stations for more than 60 years
- Thousands of direct and indirect jobs for nearly a decade during the construction period
- A package of measures targeting community wellbeing, education, employment and skills
- Increased spending in the local economy, providing spin off for local businesses and local employment
EDF Energy already has a strong presence in the South West employing close to 4,000 people in the region including those at Hinkley Point, two offices in Exeter, an office in Plymouth, and offices at Barnwood in Gloucestershire, as well as regional field staff.
The company has underlined its commitment to the development of new nuclear power at Hinkley Point C by opening an office in Bridgwater. See Contact Us| for further details.